The Chicago Review of Books and Volumes Bookcafe are teaming up with eight Chicago authors to present the First Annual Halloween Affaire, an evening of food, drink, and creepy tales. The party goes from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday, October 27th at Volumes. Literary costumes are required (characters, creatures, authors, title puns, et cetera), and the three best costumes (judged by the staff at Volumes and the CHIRB) will win free advance readers copies of forthcoming books by Chicago-based authors (see below).
Capacity is limited (fire codes and all), so reserve your space now by purchasing a ticket via Eventbrite. Your ticket is also good for one drink and as much finger food as you can eat.
The following Chicago-based authors will share their favorite creepy, lightning-fast tales and poems throughout the evening, and will be available for pestering (and the signing of books):
The three winners of the Literary Costume Contest will receive free advanced readers copies of these forthcoming Chicago-related books:
- Black Star Renegades by Michael Moreci (Chicago author)
- The Woman in the Water by Charles Finch (Chicago author)
- Small Animals by Kim Brooks (Chicago author)
- Silver Girl by Leslie Pietrzyk (Chicago-based story)
- The Twilight Zone Encyclopedia by Steven Jay Rubin (Chicago press)
- A Few Red Drops by Claire Hartfield (Chicago-based story)
Are you a member or patron of the Chicago Review of Books? If so, you’ll get a 50% discount on your ticket. If not, click here to see what you’re missing.